top of page
Excerpt from “Columbia Restaurant: Celebrating A Century Of History, Culture, And Cuisine” by Andrew T. Huse:
"As the Prohibition movement gained steam, Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. faced a bitter dilemma. He could lose his saloon or find a new use for the Columbia. He did not have to look far for partners. The Garcia brothers, who owned La Fonda, the restaurant next door, agreed in 1920 to joined him and retain the name 'Columbia.' The two businesses had depended upon one another anyway, even opening a joint bakery in 1916. With the addition of La Fonda and the Garcia brothers, the size of the restaurant doubled overnight, and Casimiro became a more legitimate restauranteur."
bottom of page